FOAM CHIP THERAPY FOR LYMPHEDEMA
Lymphedema is a chronic condition in which the lymphatic system cannot correctly drain lymph fluid from the body. This can result in swelling and discomfort. While there is no known cure for lymphedema, several treatments can help manage the symptoms. One such treatment is the use of foam chips and foam chip pads.
Foam chips are small, lightweight pieces of foam that provide compression therapy for lymphedema. In addition, several manufacturers of compression for lymphedema have created foam chip pads for ease of use. Here are some benefits of foam chip therapy for lymphedema and some foam chip pad options.
BENEFITS OF FOAM CHIP THERAPY FOR LYMPHEDEMA
Compression therapy is a standard treatment for lymphedema, as it helps to reduce swelling and improve circulation in the affected area. Foam chips are a compression therapy that can be particularly effective for managing lymphedema and breaking up fibrotic tissue.
Here are some of the benefits of using foam chips to treat lymphedema:
- Customizable Compression: Foam chips can be easily molded to fit the shape of the affected area, providing customized compression that can target specific areas of swelling. This allows for greater control over compression therapy, making it more effective in managing lymphedema.
- Comfortable: Foam chips are made from soft, lightweight foam, which makes them comfortable to wear for extended periods. This is important, as compression therapy is often prescribed for daily use.
- Easy to Use: Foam chips are easy to apply and remove, making them a convenient treatment option for lymphedema. Unlike other types of compression therapy, such as bandages or compression garments, foam chips do not require any special training or expertise to apply.
- Durable: Foam chips are durable and can be reused multiple times, making them a cost-effective treatment option for lymphedema.
- Versatile: Using foam chips to treat lymphedema in various body parts, including the arms, legs, and torso, makes it versatile.
- Improved Quality of Life: By reducing swelling and discomfort, foam chips can improve the quality of life for those with lymphedema. This can lead to increased mobility and activity levels and improved emotional well-being.
TYPES OF FOAM PADS
At The Compression Closet, we sell several types of foam chip pads to help manage your lymphedema. Many of these pads are designed for specific body areas, while others are versatile and can be used anywhere you wish for additional therapy.
L&R – Solaris has several variations of their Swell Spots, from full breast pads to small dorsal pads to fit into a glove. Designed by therapists to address the problem areas. Using a swell spot will save time cutting your shapes or creating chip foam bags. Swell Spots use pressure differentials and promote a micro-massage-type effect to break up and soften hardened skin or fibrotic tissue to support skin health. Furthermore, the channeling directs the fluid along lymphatic pathways. Solaris makes several chip pads, which can be used in various ways. I saw a breast swell spot being used to address swelling on a knee the other day; very ingenious.
Jobst JoViPak Pads are more expensive than some other pads. However, the creator of these pads, Joanne, is a cancer survivor and understands the sensitivity some can have with different materials. Therefore, these products use organic cotton/lycra and nontreated foam. These pads are also low profile and are less visible than others on the market. I especially like to use these pads with the Praire Wear Hugger Bras.
Sigvaris also makes a chip pad which we like for its softness and flexibility. It is not as stiff as some of the other pads; therefore, it’s easier to manipulate and conform to different areas of the body. As a result, the Sigvaris Genital Pads provide comfortable and effective therapy, especially when combined with the Sigvaris CompreShort or the Sigvaris CompreShort Capri.
FOAM CHIP THERAPY IS A GREAT TOOL
Foam chips and foam chip pads are versatile and effective therapy options for managing the symptoms of lymphedema. They provide customizable compression therapy that is comfortable, easy to use, and durable. Therefore, they are a convenient and cost-effective option for those with this chronic condition. It’s good to have various tools in your toolbox when managing lymphedema; foam chip pads are a great addition. If you are living with lymphedema, talk to your healthcare provider to see if foam chips are a suitable treatment option.
Disclaimer – This blog is for general information purposes only. Furthermore, the information contained in this blog is not a substitute for medical advice – always consult a licensed healthcare professional for advice on your specific condition.